Source: District of Columbia Department of Health, 2014 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
Chances are your workforce is fighting diabetes for themselves or someone they care about. More than 52,000 DC residents already have diabetes, and about 35,000 more have pre-diabetes. Most don’t know it. Without lifestyle changes, up to 30% of people with pre-diabetes will develop diabetes within 5 years. Lifestyle changes can prevent diabetes. Employers can help.
Beating Diabetes is Good for Business
Diabetes is bad for business. Employees with diabetes have higher healthcare and medical costs. Missed work days due to diabetes cause lost productivity and revenue for employers, and lost wages for employees.
Lost by Employers
$346 Million in additional medical costs
Are your employees at high risk for diabetes?
Overall, 9.1% of all DC residents have diabetes. That rate is the same as the total US population who have diabetes. But the rate of diabetes in the District varies greatly from one ward to another. In some DC communities, diabetes rates are DOUBLE the national rate. Are your employees from neighborhoods with higher rates of diabetes?
Sources: CDC, Sortable Risk Factors and Health Indicators/BRFSS 2014; District of Columbia Department of Health, 2014 BRFSS
There are many factors that put individuals at risk for developing Type 2 diabetes. Offering diabetes prevention classes at your workplace or covering diabetes prevention classes as a health benefit can help your employees fight diabetes.
National Diabetes Prevention Program (NDPP) classes are proven to help people fight diabetes. Learn more about NDPP and how to offer it:
RESOURCES & TOOLS
- Online Pre-diabetes Risk Test
- Pre-diabetes Risk Quiz
- NDPP Site Registry
- CDC 2014 National Diabetes Statistics Report
- Let’s Stop Diabetes DC Fact Sheet*
- Cost of Diabetes in DC Fact Sheet*
- Pre-Diabetes and the National Diabetes Prevention Program Fact Sheet*
- Pre-Diabetes Identification and Intervention Algorithm*
- Let’s Stop Diabetes: Tips for Talking with your Health Insurance Provider*
- Diabetes Is Preventable Employee Flyer*
- Let’s Stop Diabetes: Tips for Talking with other Businesses*
- CDC Chronic Disease Cost Calculator
- AMA DPP Cost Savings Calculator
* These resources are coming soon
Jumpstart your workplace diabetes prevention program with resources from the CDC